May 4 typically is recognized as Star Wars Day by fans, as the phrase, “may the fourth be with you,” sounds incredibly similar to the iconic phrase, “May the force be with you.”
But make sure to keep the force with you on the food safety side.
- Don’t use the same plates, bowls or utensils for raw and cooked foods.
- Luke. I am your…reminder to refrigerate. Food shouldn’t be left out for more than two hours.
- Eating cookie dough is tempting but remember, raw egg can contain Salmonella. And that’s a bug that clones itself very quietly, and is tough to defeat.
- Cooking meat? Sometimes Jedi mind powers aren’t enough to decipher when meat is done cooking. That’s best left to a meat thermometer.
- Ground beef and pork: 160°F
- Beef, pork and lamb chops, steaks and roasts: 145°F
- Poultry: 165°F
Check out Foodsafety.gov for more tips.
So enjoy being a Jedi for a day. And May the fourth be with you!